Diagnostic & Treatment
We provide radiology services including ultrasound imaging to communities throughout southeastern North Carolina.
Ultrasound imaging involves using high-frequency sound waves to produce pictures of the inside of the body. An ultrasound can be used to evaluate many organ systems, including blood vessels and fetal well-being, without radiation. Ultrasound exams do not use ionizing radiation (X-ray) and can help diagnose various conditions and assess organ damage following an illness. If a patient is experiencing pain, swelling, or infection, an ultrasound can help physicians determine the cause.
Common Types of Ultrasound Procedures
At Valley Radiology, we offer a wide range of ultrasound imaging procedures, including:
- Carotid Ultrasound Imaging - This ultrasound is a painless and harmless test that uses high-frequency sound waves to create pictures of the insides of the carotid arteries.
- Ultrasound – Breast - A breast ultrasound uses sonic waves to generate internal images of breast tissue to identify suspicious growths and abnormalities. Unlike traditional mammography, no radiation is involved.
- Ultrasound - Obstetric - An obstetric ultrasound involves the application of medical ultrasonography to obstetrics, in which sonography is used to visualize the embryo or fetus in its mother's uterus (womb).
- Ultrasound - Pelvis - An abdominal ultrasound is a body scan of the abdomen, in which sound waves make up a picture of the organs inside the abdomen.
- Ultrasound - Vascular - This is a non-invasive, painless test that uses high-frequency sound waves to capture images of blood vessels, including arteries and veins.
- Ultrasound - Venous (Extremities) - This procedure provides pictures of the veins throughout the body which can be helpful in diagnosing blood clots in your arms or legs.
- Ultrasound- Musculoskeletal - This is an injury assessment technique that uses sound waves to create images of painful or injured soft tissues in the extremities.
- Ultrasound of the Prostate - This is a diagnostic test used to detect potential problems with a man's prostate. The ultrasound test uses very high-frequency sound waves passed through the body to show a pattern of reflected sound waves, or echoes, and an outline of the prostate. This test can show whether the prostate is enlarged and whether an abnormal growth that might be cancer is present.
- Ultrasound of the Scrotum - This ultrasound produces a picture of the testicles and scrotum and can show the long, tightly coiled tube that lies behind each testicle and collects sperm and the tube that connects the testicles to the prostate gland.
- Ultrasound of the Thyroid Gland - This is an imaging test to check the thyroid gland and parathyroid glands. A thyroid ultrasound can help measure the size and shape of the thyroid gland. However, it cannot tell how well the thyroid gland is working.
Ultrasound Imaging with Valley Radiology
Learn more about having an ultrasound with Valley Radiology by calling us today at our Angier Imaging Center (919) 331-2001 orour Interventional Clinic (910) 486-5700 or submitting a contact form. Please note that a doctor’s referral is required for all ultrasound exams.